Spinach Porridge

Spinach Porridge (Teochew Style)
 During weekends, when ever we are free, my sister-in-laws and myself  will cook food, 
boil soup or bake for our hospitalised mother-in-law.  
Yeap, she is still in the hospital since July last year due to bad bed sore.  
Pity her having to endure the pain.
Last few weeks ago, my husband told me that my mother-in-law do not have good appetite, 
hence I cooked Spinach Porridge which is her favourite.
The texture of the porridge is like Teochew Porridge, the rice is not broken into
fine pieces, thick or mushy.  
I used dried anchovies to make broth in order to make the porridge more flavourful and umami.



 Ingredients :-

  1. 80g Spinach (wash, discard thick fibrous stem, cut finely the thin flexible stem, cut finely the leaves)
  2. 1/3 cup of rice (wash until water is clear)
  3. 4 cups of Dried Anchovies Broth and 4 cups of Water
  4. Some Salt and Pepper

 Method :-

  1. Add 4 cups of Dried Anchovies Broth and 4 cups of Water into a pot or wok to boil.
  2. Once the broth is boiled, immediately add rice and the cut thin flexible stem.  Boil for 3 minutes and then reduce the fire from big to medium low.  
  3. Simmer with medium low fire until to the right texture that you wanted or cooked and occasionally stir it and add more water if the broth evaporated very much. Do not stir so much, other wise the rice will be broken into small pieces. I used chop stick to stir the porridge.
  4. Once the rice is soft, cooked and to the right texture, add the cut spinach and stir until well combined and cook another 2 minutes with medium fire, then add salt and pepper to taste. Switch off the fire. 
Note  :  If you don't want the spinach to be cut into finely, the choice is yours.  I have to cut it finely because my mother-in-law does not have many teeth left.



Felt so happy seeing my mother-in-law had 1 1/2 bowl of this porridge.
I even told her she being a "very good girl" eaten 1 1/2 bowl and she smiled.


Comments

Popular Posts